Fallen Heroes of Georgia 5K
Saturday, March 18, 2017 at 8:00am
Join us at Lanier Islands in Buford as we honor and remember Georgia’s Fallen Soldiers who have been lost while fighting in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. As always all race proceeds benefit charities created in memory of a Fallen Georgia Soldier.
o Live Results Link: CLICK HERE
o After Race Results: CLICK HERE
RACE REGISTRATION AVAILABLE!
· March 2nd - March 15th at 6:00pm: $ 35.00
· Race Day: $40.00
· Tee shirts for race day registrants will be available while supplies last.
· Starting Time: 8:00am
IMPORTANT PRERACE INFORMATION:
1. Weather & Clothing
3. Arrival Time
4. Gate Fee
5. Carpool, Carpool, Carpool
6. Parking Areas
7. Prerace Bib & Tee Pick Up
8. Picking Up A Friend's Bib?
9. Race Day Bib / Tee Shirt Pick Up
10. Opening Ceremony
11. All Participants Must Register & Stroller Restrictions
12. Supporters & Family of Participants
1. WEATHER & CLOTHING:
· The race will be held rain or shine!
· Wear needed weather related, AND BRIGHT AND OR REFLECTIVE clothing while participating.
· Keep your children close and on an adult’s right hand side for safety.
· The race will be held at Lanier Islands, located at 7000 Lanier Islands Parkway (formerly Holiday Road), Buford, GA 30518.
· I-85N to Exit 113 I-985N, to Exit 8 Lanier Islands Pkwy/Friendship Road, TURN LEFT, and Lanier Islands is 4.5 miles straight ahead. Once in the Resort, please follow the signs and the volunteer’s instructions.
3. ARRIVAL TIME:
· We recommend that all registrants arrive at the Resort a minimum of 1 - 1 ¼ hours before the start of the race. This is due to the delays that WILL occur when entering the Resort, paying the $5.00 parking fee at the gate with possible volume related delays, parking, race bib and shirt pick up, walking back and forth to your vehicle to drop off race tee, brief opening ceremony, and lastly to be in place for a timely start of the race.
4. GATE FEE:
· There is NO LONGER a gate pass for free gate entry, starting this year each vehicle entering the Resort on race day will pay the $5.00 gate fee. Unless the vehicle has an annual Lanier Islands gate pass. Lanier Islands annual gate pass can be purchased any time prior to the race at the Island's gate for $75.00.
· This policy change was posted starting on the first day (Jan 1st) of the 2017 registration process.
· To best keep the lanes at the gates moving on race day, please bring exact change for the gate fee of $5.00.
· Carpool & Save!
5. CARPOOL, CARPOOL, CARPOOL:
· There may be as many as 600 vehicles entering the Resort just for this race. So please consider carpooling to reduce a potential back up at the gate.
Possible meeting places to then carpool:
· Cross Point Church: (formerly New Bethany Baptist Church): Located about ½ mile from the entrance to the Resort.
· Publix Shopping Center : Located at I-985 and Lanier Islands Parkway, about 4 miles away from the entrance to the Resort.
6. PARKING AREAS:
· Enter the resort, pass bridge over Lake Lanier, go left around the ‘Clock Tower’ roundabout, in .4 miles turn left on Camellia, and the parking areas will be down and on the right in the Grand Hall Pavilion Lot.
· Well placed signs will mark each turn.
7. PRERACE PACKET PICK UP:
· DAY 1: Thursday, March 16th from 11:00am- 4:00pm at Hamilton Mill Christian Church, 3809 Sardis Church Rd, Buford, GA 30518
· DAY 2: Friday, March 17th from 11:00am-4:00pm at Big Peach Running Co., 320 Towne Center Avenue, Suwanee 30024 Ph. 678.869.5012
· DAY 3: Morning of the Race at Lanier Islands
8. PICKING UP A RACE PACK FOR A FRIEND AT PRERACE PACKET PICK UP:
· Participants are welcome to pick up bibs for other registered participants.
· Just please ask them to text a photo of their driver’s license.
· Please have the photo pulled up and ready to view when requesting the race bib and race tee.
· DO NOT forget the race bibs on the day of the race.
9. RACE DAY BIB/ TEE SHIRT PICK UP:
· Bib and tee shirt pick up times: 6:30AM – 7:50AM
· Bib & tee pick up is in Upper Beach Lot which is located up the hill and across the street from the parking area.
· Signs will also direct participants to the location of the bib and tee shirt tent.
10. OPENING CEREMONY:
· Begins at 7:40am, so please arrive early to hear Pastor Bob Mahan’s message from Hamilton Mill Christian Church. Then Pat Felt’s perfect rendition of the National Anthem.
· If weather permits, we'll have something cool as Pat finishes our Anthem.
· Again, please arrive at the Resort early to allow for delays at the gate, parking, and race bib / tee pick up.
11. ALL PARTICIPANTS MUST REGISTER & STROLLER LIMITATIONS:
· All participants must register for the run, unless it is a child young enough to be pushed & remain in a stroller. All kids who are walking or running must register!
· All strollers must start in the rear of the 6th race corral, and then have only use a walking pace while on the race course. Any participant found to be running the course while pushing a stroller will be disqualified, and asked to stop participating in the race. This is for the safety of other participants, and for the safety of the child in the stroller. The roads are too narrow to weave around and run alongside other runners during the race.
12. SUPPORTERS & FAMILY OF PARTICIPANTS:
· Please stay within the marked areas around the start & finish area during the race.
· Only registered runners will be allowed on the race course.
· Enjoy your evening and THANK YOU all for your cooperation!
3 WAYS TO REGISTER TODAY:
1. On-Line at RunSignUp.com: Thru March 12th
2. In-Store Registration Big Peach Running Co. in Suwanee Only: Thru March 8th
3. Mail-In Form: Postmarked by March 8th, (LOCATED IN THE RIGHT MARGIN OF THE HOME PAGE)
FACEBOOK HELPS US GET THE WORD OUT:
1. First go to our Fallen Heroes of Georgia site on Facebook, and
2. Then click on the 'Like' & 'Follow' tabs.\
3. Then scroll down and click 'Upcoming Events', and then click on 'Share' to invite your friends and family on Facebook.
4. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP AND CONTINUED SUPPORT!
DONATE -OR- BECOME A FUNDRAISER: :
PRERACE PACKET PICK UP:
PICKING UP A RACE PACK FOR A FRIEND AT PRERACE PACKET PICK UP:
DAY OF RACE BIB & SHIRT PICK UP:
VENDORS AT THE RACE:
RACE WILL BE HELD RAIN OR SHINE:
ALL PARTICIPANTS MUST REGISTER & STROLLER LIMITATIONS:
CARPOOL, CARPOOL, CARPOOL:
DAY OF RACE BIB & SHIRT PICK UP:
RACE CORRALS: VERY IMPORTANT!
6 Starting Corrals will separate runners by expected finish times:
1. This will work strictly on the ‘Honor System’.
2. Slower runners and walkers please keep to the right.
3. Avoid running in groups of 3-4 runners wide, these groups are often difficult for others to pass. This is especially important in the first mile of the race.
4. Be advised that your own race timing will start as you first cross the starting mats, and finish after crossing the finishing mats.
SUPPORTERS & FAMILY OF PARTICIPANTS:
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
They fell, but o’er that glorious grave, floats free the banner of the cause they died to save. — Francis Marion Crawford